Google+

November 28, 2010

Hybrid Fun!!!

Hello! Helen here to bring you a little hybrid post using some of Liz's Christmas templates. But first, I hope all of you (who celebrate it) had a wonder(full) Thanksgiving holiday with family and friends! I know I have so much to be thankful for.....if I started counting my blessings I would not finish for hours.
Now, on to the hybrid talk. Many people shy away from hybrid because they think things have to be perfect!!! And trust me, when you first start out doing it, you most likely will have little goofs here and there on each project until you start to hone your skills. I forewarn you, I am still in the "honing" process with my skills.....but I trudge on.....showing my imperfections in hopes I will convert another person who has a huge stash of traditional scrapbooking supplies collecting dust in a room somewhere.
I made three little projects today. I started off making an ornament using the kit, Ornaments & Stocking Templates shown to the side (and linked to Liz's store)
I chose this template from the pack.
Next, I found a Christmas kit I liked from my stash called Heartfelt Christmas by Faith True at Scrap Orchard. As you can see below I eliminated the thin, red circle frame from my design. For these I basically chose 2 papers and one element from Faith's kit and clipped/layered them on to Liz's ornament. I added a metal style to the topper to make it more realistic. After I was satisfied with my design I created a new workspace in my PSE program, 8.5"x11", and I added my ornaments to the new workspace for printing on to white cardstock.
I wanted a nice, 3-D effect so I also took both felt pieces in the center of each ornament (tree & flower) and also added it to another 8.5"x11" workspace so I could cut them out and place them on top of the ornament with pop dots. Here is my other workspace showing various elements from my projects. I try to get as many elements on one sheet just as good practice in case I ever have to send out for printing to an outside source.....since they charge by the sheet :)
After printing & cutting out my ornaments & the tree & flower elements I began to assemble. My initial plan was to have TWO finished ornaments. One with the tree showing on both sides and one with the flower showing on both sides of its' own ornament. However, I boo-boo'd and when my designed ornaments printed the ones on the right side of the page were cut off. Therefore, I changed my plan to ONE ornament with a tree on one side & a flower on the other. See? You just have to be flexible & creative.
Here are both sides after I added some embossing powder/glitter. The ribbons at the top cover up yet another gawdy mistake while trying to hollow out the hole for the loop where the hook generally goes.
Next, I set out to make two cards. One is completely digital while the other has some hybrid added in. I chose to use Liz's Christmas Card Temps seen here in this preview.
The all digital card I chose was this little beauty.....
The kit I used for this card is the November Mega, Baby It's Cold Outside, at Scrap Orchard. I clipped my papers to start with. I changed the Season's Greetings to Merry Christmas and added some more text and something that looked like a personal signature.
I wanted the option to add a photo so I cut out a spot for that on the left side and added my frame. I then moved on to the elements and printed! The only thing I did, which you may have a hard time seeing, was added some sheen to the card with a Spray Mist in pearl white. I love the added effect it gives my card.
My next card is more hybridy. Is that even a word? This is the template I started with for the next card from the same template set as above.
My kit choice here is Candy Cane Christmas by SuzyQ Scraps at Scrap Orchard. I actually designed the entire card (including the ornament you see in the finished project) but I removed the ornament and left this as my base on which to build on. For my base I simply added the white background paper & some red paper was clipped to the border/2010 and I changed the font color to match that same paper. I then added a bevel to all of it for an embossed look. That is hard to see in the photo but it is there.
Once again you see my 8.5"x11" workspace with the rest of my ornament pieces for this card. I printed this page and cut out my pieces.
After cutting out the pieces I began to glue my ornament on using both regular glue tape AND some pop dots for added dimension. I did not like all the space left in the upper right quadrant of the card so I dug through my stash and found these Christmas flowers from my traditional scrapbooking days. I added a brad in the center and glued them to the card. Normally I am fine with negative space but not this time, lol. I added some sheen mist to this card as well. I am a bit addicted to that little bottle of prettiness!!!
Here is another view from the side to show you the dimension of the ornament using the pop dots to adhere it to the card base.
And there you have it. Three little projects that will make a big impact on those that receive them. I hope you enjoyed the post and that maybe....just maybe....I have inspired you to try your hand at hybrid despite the potential for errors along the way. After all, that is what the embellishments are for!! Have a great week everyone.
~Helen~

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover